Sunday, July 3, 2011

Desperately Seeking Cool



It was a sweltering 80 degrees during our morning walk. We did some agility practice in the park and by the time we were done it was hoovering around 91 degrees. Marley and I do not enjoy the heat. We rushed home around 11 a.m. and started drinking cold water while contemplating the long day ahead.

We've decided to spend the day indoors with some trick training in the afternoon and an evening trip to the park. I've tried taking Marley to the park in the late afternoon and she will walk from shade to shade where she proceeds to stretch out and give me the "crazy human" look.

During the hot weather we follow some of the advice provided by the ASPCA.
  • The majority of our outdoor activities occur in the early morning or late afternoon.
  • Marley no longer accompanies me on errands around town.
  • I make sure our walks are on natural surfaces, such as grass, gravel or dirt. I believe asphalt and concrete retain heat for a long time and is therefore not safe for Marley's paws.
  • I'm also spending some time preparing her for any Fourth of July noise we may encounter.
Finally, I'm compiling a list of any friends and acuqintances with a dog friendly pool. I'll bring chocolate cake if we can go swimming.

No comments: