A fire recently demolished the building in front of my apartment. It was the scariest experience of my life. Marley started growling and barking at the front door and I shushed her; she kept it up and I finally looked outside and all I saw was orange. I managed to shove a cat into the carrier and run out the door. I spent the next 4 hours outside while the fire department put out the fire. I am very lucky the fire only killed my plants, my neighbors lost windows and their doors were broken down.
I feel really good about the following things:
- Marley's leashes are by the front door and Marley was excited to see me pick up the leash.
- I didn't lock my front door on my way out; the fire dept didn't need to break down my door.
- I managed to remain calm and helped one of my neighbor stay calm.
- I was calm enough to grab the cat carrier and Mahone.
- I need to keep the cat carrier by the front door. I startled Bob when I retrieved the cat carrier and he hid under the bed.
- I need to keep an emergency kit by my front door or replenish the one in my car. If my building had caught fire I would have been stuck without any pet paraphernalia.