Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pet First Aid Class

I just completed the pet first aid class at UC Davis. I learned a lot and I feel confident about taking action should anything happen to Marley.

We learned
  • how to approach an injured animal and how to check its breathing and pulse
  • how to administer CPR and we were able to practice on a first aid dog doll
  • discussed muzzles and why its important for your dog to be comfortable wearing one*
  • practiced bandaging an injury on a leg and on an ear
  • the first steps to take when you think your dog has been poisoned
  • discussed disaster preparedness
As a first time dog owner, I learned a lot and I highly recommend this class.

There is still time to sign up for the next classes which are offered on May 16, June 20 and July 18th.

*Tip: All pets have the potential to bite when in pain or injured and it is best to place a muzzle on an injured pet. It was recommend we practice placing a muzzle on our pets that way when they are injured it does not become another stressor. She recommended starting slow and have play time immediately afterward.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Cool! I was so thinking of taking that class but wasn't too sure. Good to know you took home some great pieces. I'll sign up for the next one. Thanks for posting about this!