Thursday, June 14, 2012

It is only a matter of time

File:Striped Skunk.jpgNature is not our friend.

Recently a skunk has been making my front entryway his highway to the city.  At first I thought it was a fluke and he would find a better route.  However, we have had a few sightings.

  • I noticed him a building away and chose to stay inside.
  • I didn't see him until he was between my front door and myself.  I waited about 20 minutes for him to choose to move on before I was able to go inside again.  
  • He was wandering by the stairs next to my front door.  I turned around and took Marley out the back door. 
Yesterday, I decided to take Marley out early and miss our striped neighbor; unfortunately, he had the same idea. We ended up going back inside and waiting for about 30 minutes before we went back out.  

At this point I've started collecting skunk odor removal remedies, I figure it is only a matter of time before we have an encounter. 

So far I've learned the popular tomato juice remedy is not very effective.  The popular baking soda, peroxide, dawn seems to be a good remedy.  

My favorite is the Sadie Skunk Solution:  when your dog has been sprayed smear your dog with Crisco and then wash with shampoo.  It works under the premise that the oil in the Crisco will draw out the oils in the skunk spray.  Two of our friends have tried it and it worked great.  

I keep hoping I never have to try it but it seems like it is only a matter of time. If you have a great solution that worked for you please feel free to share it. 

No comments: