Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Attitude from Marley

Today is The Dog Agility Blog Action Day and the topic of discussion is Attitude.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to share how I've had to learn to adjust my attitude when I'm working with Marley.  I can't suck it up and pretend to be happy and pleasant when I feel the complete opposite.  I wanted to share how my change in attitude has altered our weave training. I wanted to share how I've learned to evaluate our emotional state prior to each training session and feel comfortable about just loading everything back in the car and playing Frisbee instead of training if we are having a poor day.  I had great plans for my blog post and then we went to class...

Where Marley dished out the attitude, I have to say she does a great impression of a teenager.  

  • We were doing some hand touches, after three she looks at me...throws herself on the ground and barks. 
  • We were running a jumping sequence where Marley kept missing a jump.  I stop Marley looks at the instructor, looks at me and rolls her eyes.  Yes, I was the one making the error.
  • We were on our pre-class walk and Marley saw a cat strolling by and was ready to chase.  I asked her to leave it and she gives me the "you have got to be kidding" look and proceeds to whine. 
  • I was trying to read something and she wanted attention so she starts making soft primate like noises until I acknowledged her presence. 
I'm beginning to suspect she watches James Dean movies while I'm at work. She has no problem conveying her emotional state; however, I have to say I'm not pleased with the whole eye-rolling throwing herself on the ground.  

I did notice all the Border Collies seem to be perpetually happy, I'm sure they don't dish out attitude. Hm..maybe I should stop anthropomorphizing.

If you would like to read some great articles about attitude in agility please head on over to the Dog Agility Blog Action Day.

No comments: