Monday, January 16, 2012

What is the Hayden Act?

A friend sent me an article yesterday about the Hayden Act, after reading it and posting on Facebook I realized I needed more information.  I've compiled a bit of what I found just in case you were unaware of the Hayden Act.

California State Assembly Bill SB 1785 also known as the Hayden Act was introduced by Tom Hayden.  This bill extends the amount of time an animal shelter is required to keep an animal prior to having them destroyed.  There have been a variety of challenges to the law such as Governor Schwarzenegger attempted to suspend the act in order to balance the budget and at this time Governor Brown is planning on suspending the Act.

While I am a supporter of streamlining finances and making processes more efficient, I believe the ramifications of suspending the Hayden Act would erase many of the strides we have made in the care of animals.  At this time you can call the Govenors office(916)445.2841 or you can email him.

For more information on the Hayden Act you can click on one of the following links:
I have a great deal of respect and admiration for employees of Animal Shelters.  They have a difficult job that involves rescuing lost pets;investigating animal abuse, neglect and complaints;  providing care for quarantined;animals and finding homes for animals they have rescued or has been relinquished. They also have the unfortunate task of euthanize;animals that are sick or dangerous. The shelter employees I've spoken to find this a very difficult task and they will do as much as they can to prevent an animal from being euthanized.Many shelters also partner with rescue organizations who may be better equipped to help an animal become adoptable.  I believe the suspension of the Hayden Act would not only make their jobs more difficult but increase the number of pets being destroyed. 

No comments: