Some of our tricks for staying safe in extreme heat are:
- I don't allow Marley to walk on asphalt or concrete if I'm not comfortable walking barefoot. Her paws are sensitive and I don't want them to blister. She walks on dirt or grass.
- We avoid the outdoors between 2-6 p.m., the hottest part of the day.
- I carry cool water with me on our walks.
- Marley receives most of her meals from a treat ball, due to our restrictive schedule she needs additional mental stimulation.
- I brush her coat every evening to remove bits of dry brush or grass. Foxtails are a huge problem and cling to her coat.
- We are working on our agility foundation exercises.
- Trick training is fantastic during the heat.
We have also started inventing some fun indoor games, which I'll share with you soon. This weekend we'll spend some time at the lake and the river, which should be refreshing. I hope everybody is staying cool.
Here are some additional tips for surviving the summer weather.