Thursday, October 22, 2009

My dream dog

As child who desperately wanted a dog I had dreams of how my life would be different. I saw myself taking long meandering walks along the moors (for some reason I like the idea of wandering around the Scottish countryside). My dog would love playing endless games of fetch. We would become excellent trackers. Every evening my dog would curl next to the fireplace while I knitted a sweaters.

I've discovered the reality of owning a dog is much different and I've spent the last year and a half adjusting to my new reality. First of all we will not be wandering around the Scottish countryside any time in the near future. We do not have a fireplace and I'm a horrible knitter. I've discovered in order to become great at tracking, I need to get up at "OMG its REALLY EARLY" to train, this is just not happening any time soon. Finally, I have to accept that my dog is just not interested in playing fetch.

I find this the most difficult, how could I have a dog that will not play fetch? She likes chasing the ball, sometimes she'll bring it back. Mostly she chases it and then sits next to it and looks at me like I'm crazy. I've tried a variety of balls and she is just not interested. I love reading about these great border collies and Australian Shepherds that live for fetch and I'm a bit jealous.

I'm slowly adjusting to the fact that my dog loves agility and if I really want a fabulous relationship with my dog I have to set aside my dreams of playing fetch and I have to embrace agility. I've started this transition by giving away our chuck-it and buying some agility dvds.

No comments: